Transition in Trends: Top Tips for Spring!
Denise Y. Mose, Ph.D, Columnist
Hello March! Yes, Spring is here! Break out that credit card and pick up a pair of pink and orange roses from the nearest floral shop to welcome the season. Box up your snow boots to the far edges of your closet and pop the white wine, because tomorrow is the first day of Spring!
If you are in San Antonio or San Francisco here are my Top Tips for Spring. The beauty is that these trends guarantee a seamless transition from Winter to Spring and beyond!
1. Metallics: Typically Spring, is all about the colors. This year, I’m loving that metallics are on the upswing. Not ready to take the plunge on that silver midi skirt or gold blazer, an easy way to incorporate this trend into your existing wardrobe is with your accessories — think shoes and handbags. Even a little bit of metallic will go a long way!
2. Pastels: It’s no shocker that pastels are hot for spring, so look out for light pink hues which are popping up everywhere this season. To keep the pink overload from becoming too girly, pair it with some tomboy-inspired pieces like a camo jacket or converse. If not, try a different color. Baby Blue is spreading like wildfire, too! Pastels of all shades are welcome in my book.
3. Neon: Neon is my secret guilty plea-sure, and I’m so excited that it’s still around this year. A pop of Neon will bring some cheer to even your puffiest parka. Remember, keep the rest of your outfit neutral to avoid looking like a walking graffiti wall. Make Neon the star and that’s it.
4. Versatile Spring Tote: After being lugged through rain, snow and sleet, your existing “everyday” bag likely needs to be put out of its misery. Opt for a versatile, roomy tote bag that will get you from work, through the weekends and even to the beach (whenever that day finally comes.) Totes are a perfect fit for all occasions; even Mary Poppins would agree.
5. Florals: I hear what you are saying — Florals? Of course, you wear this pattern in Spring. If it’s too chilly to sport a skimpy Floral sundress, layer a paper thin turtleneck underneath. Or, get your Floral on with a Springy scarf. (Ten points if you tie it around the handle of your new tote bag!)
6. Cropped White Pants: Throw that old wives tale out the window. You can wear white before Memorial Day. In fact, I’d prefer it that way. White is an accent color. If you live in Florida, Texas, or California you better wear white all year. Geography must be taken into account! Back to my point: Get yourself some cropped pants. Regardless, if they are boot cut, slim fitting, culottes or shorts, add them to your Spring wardrobe.
Annnndddd there it is! Look for me in Las Vegas soon! I’ll be hosting the Stellar Awards on the Red Carpet! Let’s chat next week!
Denise Y. Mose, Ph.D is the owner/creator of Simply D Perfume and Beauty Skin Care Line. She is also the host of her own talk show, Urban America Today (www.myjbn.com). She is an authority on education, business, beauty/fashion, career coaching and etiquette. Her third book, The Guilt-Free Guide to Fashion, is currently on bookshelves across the nation!! The American Image Consultant Association often seeks her advice on wardrobe and fashion seminars. She can be reached through her Agent Monique Mason at 407-230-0953. You may visit her online at www.denisemose.com and www.danielformen.net